Friday, May 16, 2008

Yamadori Korean Hornbeam I - Part II



Back to the Hornbeam…

I was in my "have to have everything perfect" phase of bonsai practice, so I thought I would carve out the natural bumps or knobs that this species tends to grow in an attempt to smoothen the trunk line. There were a group of knobs on the back side's lower trunk that were creating an inverse taper. I whipped out my trusty concave cutter and began carving. What did I end up with? Woody remnants and large wounds, wounds that will take years to heal. I decided shortly after this exercise in learning that I could have lived with the knobs.

I’ve begun to slowly scratch the new, healing growth down to the cambium layer to encourage activity. This can be done once a year during the growing season. The wounds are showing signs of healing, but I might be into my 40’s before the tree is recouped. Is a bonsai ever recouped? This is just another example of being too stringent with design. It was important in this case, to leave the bumps, albeit unsightly, since they presented a realism and evidence of this tree’s yamadori origins. A field or pot grown tree would not generally become this unsightly.

Meanwhile, I had done some branch work and taken in the growth. I removed a major lower branch since it was on the outside of the trunk line. Since then, I’ve transplanted it into a smaller Rayner container, although I don’t necessary feel the color compliments this species very well. I will eventually find a more suitable pot.


The (Dark) Back Side...Ouch!
Winter 06'

Here are some photos of the tree last winter -





The nebari is developing nicely and the wounds have healed over slightly. I plan to continue refinement and develop secondary branching, which is especially needed on the apex portion. I may add some more movement to the top apex branch since it seems a bit too straight.


Spring 08'